Sunday, July 05, 2015

New to me basket quilt

I left one quilt out of my estate sale finds posts last month!

Maybe because it really needed a bath...fast!  (and not because Watson sat on it!)

It was made circa 1930.

I like that the baskets are scrappy.
wet quilt drying out on the deck...

Love that the setting triangles and the 2-3 inch border is also pieced!

There are a few loose seams but it is clean so I can go about fixing those...
The quilting is done in a squared off fan.  The backing is pieced and likely home-dyed.  Binding is back to front.  All the typical characteristics of a "southern" quilt.

3 comments:

Tonya Ricucci said...

cute. looks like it still has some strong beautiful color, or was the quilt just wet in those photos?

Janet O. said...

Wonderful find. I love studying the old fabrics--this has some beauties!

Purple Pam said...

Absolutely a beautiful basket quilt. What a great find.