Wednesday, June 08, 2016

North Carolina Quilt Symposium!

Last weekend I got to spend my birthday at the North Carolina Quilt Symposium!
Me and Pepper Cory in front of her curved piecing sampler
They hold this even every year.  It is a great opportunity to take some workshops, attend some lectures and just hang out with quilters for a few days.  And bonus...there is a quilt show and vendors!
Best in show quilt...the Harry Potter Bookcase!  
Yes I did some damage at the vendor mall...but I'll hold that off for a future post.  Still haven't totally unpacked yet!

I took Pepper's conquering the curve workshop.  Strongly recommend it.  She is a very good teacher.
A 1930's 
and one of Pepper's recent patterns using the curve!
Also attended her lecture on Drunkards Path.  Love how she moved from antique through vintage and then showed her own interpretation of that pattern!  Also love her peppered cottons which I believe are the fabrics in her pattern!  They "play" well with so many other lines like Kaffe and reproduction fabrics.

Also attended a lecture on using the computer for quilting with Mary Ellen Kranz who authored "Blending Photos with Fabric 2."  Another great instructor!

I can see myself using that book soon!
Peace College in Raliegh, NC has a beautiful campus
Finally I took a lecture with Harriet Hargrave on Battings.  No photos...I was too busy taking notes!  What that woman doesn't know about batting is't worth knowing.  I think that deserves its own blog post!

5 comments:

Donna said...

Belated Happy Birthday! It was a great symposium. I now have 3 new projects to add to the rest of my UFO's.

Loris said...

Happy birthday :-) What a fun way to spend it! I bet you learned a lot!

Pam said...

Sounds like a great time! All those classes-I'm jealous!

Janet O. said...

I have loved Pepper Cory's Drunkard's Path templates and pattern book. Would really enjoy a class from her!

Karen said...

Several years ago, I was able to attend the North Carolina Quilt Symposium. It was held at a college in Charlotte. Such a good time.