Thursday, September 08, 2016

A bag of fabric....

How many of you have gotten the call - "I have some fabric left to me/been in my closet/no sure where it came from and thought you might be able to use it or know a place to donate it."

It is so hard...I mean once the fabric makes it over the threshold it isn't like I can say...oh, no this smells like smoke take it back!  or, this fabric must have been stored in an attic and is so crispy you could use it for kindling!  or worse, this fabric was stored in a garden shed and is either trying to grow mushrooms or a cure for some unknown illness...

I don't want to sound ungrateful for their thinking of me...it is just rarely do I find a wonderful piece of fabric that I have been looking for or even get excited about.  Most of the time the entire bag gets tossed in to the washing machine (sometimes many loads of laundry end up being done...)

And then there is the ironing...the sorting...and then the moving most of it on to another quilter.  I have to admit a fair amount has ended up as cleaning rags or filler for dog-beds.  This is time and energy I could be using for quilting or for care and maintenance of my own stash (which is as much work as caring for a garden!)

But I know...when the next call comes I'll say yes...the eternal optimist that surely one bag someday will have something I will dance around the room waving above my head!  Someday....

10 comments:

Gypsy Quilter said...

There was a time many folks donated what they were cleaning out to me. Some, gorgeous Waverly decorating fabric handed off to my sister for children's school costumes. Some to an art teacher in a country school with no extra funds. It often took some time before finding the right home, but passing it on was half the fun.

kelley said...

I can turn away cotton but wool makes me perk up my ears...

TakeMeThereTotes said...

Once I got a bag of scraps, consisting of blue jeans and husbands plaid underwear. Nice plaid....I might use it someday. We got a good laugh at the bag of "quilt scraps"

Brenda said...

I always tell people that I will give their fabric a foster home. I may use some, but I don't guarantee I will keep it all.

Nancy said...

I sometimes wish people would donate bags of fabric to me. The wish includes the ideal -- clean, pressed, freshly-scented (or unscented) fabric. But then I remember the times I've bought fabric at quilt show yard sales, or the thrift store, or even at auctions, get it home, wash it, and realize it has a scent that I can't get out. It's so discouraging. You just never know what the fabric will be like when it comes to you second-hand. --Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

Chantal said...

I understand what you mean. My dearest friend receives such presents some times and she shares her loot with me. Unfortunately she is a heavy smoker. But it is giving in good faith of helping me out with my stash so I wash everything and iron it and never say a word. I appreciate her kindness. ;^)

maggie fellow said...

I feel an obligation to rescue fabric. Probably left over from the days I couldn't afford it. I just wish it didn't stretch so far. Use a big part for backing then cut it into useable pieces and then strings, and then finally crumbs. 100 quilts later and I still haven't used anything new in a quilt.

Janet O. said...

So much work involved in housing fabric you don't need or want, but if that magical piece comes along, I hope someone takes photos of you dancing. : )

Karen said...

Been there, done that!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Yes, we just can't say "no"!