Thursday, August 07, 2008

Back again...

I know it has been a while since I posted. I'd go through the long explanation of my eyes going wonky, not being able to use the computer...I don't want to be too whiney so I'll just leave it at that. I have found that I see colors better right now by taking photos , downloading to Picassa and then hitting either the color saturation option or the black and white option. I used that laying out the blocks above. There are a couple of not dark but not light blocks (they were samples made while I was teaching new quilters ) that were fighting me. Using the photos I found the "problem" blocks worked best in the corners. Who knows I may even finish this one since you don't have to see colors to hand quilt!


The photo above is from Chedworth Roman Villa in Yanworth. It is one of my favorite sites to bring visitors. On a sunny day the mosaics look amazing and it really gives you a feel for how a villa was laid out. Earlier someone posted and asked for more mosaic photos so as I find them (my photos need organizing again....) I'll post! I'm sure there is a quilting pattern in those floors....


I did make it to the Tewkesbury Medieval festival again this year. The photos are of a Morris Dancer group. I love their costumes. The one with the bright mask represents summer...of course it was rainy and cold that day!

I haven't been doing much sewing...except for bags. I found a really easy pattern on the internet for a medium size tote. You can never have too many of these...ok, maybe I do have too many now but I never seem to have them with me when I am shopping so now I have made a tote bag for my tote bags. This made it easier for me to carry the bags in the car and I am happy to announce I have even run out of store plastic bags! It may be time to retire that funny little plastic-bags-carrier-tube I made years and years ago that hangs behind the kitchen door. So is that progress - I've gone from making a storage bag for my plastic bags to a carrier bag for my carrier bags?!

9 comments:

Katie said...

Sorry about the eye issues. Even so, it's amazing how different a quilt looks in a photo. It's a whole different perspective!

Karen said...

I wonder about your eyes. I am having issues too, and at 35 years old, I am wondering why. I have an appointment next week. I love that you do such amazing work. I hope to post some of my beginner stuff on my blog soon. I am just alittle nervous to do so...why? who knows! Stay well!

sewkalico said...

I'm sorry to hear about your eyesight troubles, but I'm so glad to see you posting again. It's always nice to hear what you get up to. Those are great blocks!!

quiltmom anna said...

Hi Siobhan,
glad to see you are back blogging- I hope the eye troubles soon subside and that you are feeling ok these days.
Thanks for sharing the photos of the mosaics. Nice blocks too...
You should post some pictures of your bags- was the pattern one you bought on line- I have been looking for bag patterns.
Regards,
Anna

Purple Pam said...

Glad you are back. We missed you. I love the red/white/blue color combination. Take care.

Unknown said...

I am just SOOOOO glad you are back!

I like the way you have overcome the barrier of balancing the colors.

Best Wishes ...
Cindy B.

Tonya Ricucci said...

glad you figured out a way to see the blocks. Funglies sounds like the way to go! I'm almost finished with my current hand quilting piece and I'm about to panic because I don't have another one ready to go. eek.

Mary Johnson said...

I like your sampler blocks - I frequently use photos to look at my work even without eye issues. I guess they kind of work like a reducing glass for me but I pick up all kinds of things from a photo I might not pick up in person.

julieQ said...

Darn those eye issues!!I am glad to see your pictures of the costumed dancers. Hope your eyes are well as can be soon!