Sunday, January 23, 2011

New Old Orphan Quilt


A few weeks ago my DH got a quilt for me that I had seen on an auction house website. I usually will not do a phone bid if I haven't inspected the quilt. ( It was a general estate auction at a small auction house and they don't know much about quilts so what they say is excellent condition may really be well - not so excellent.)

That aside - I am really happy with this quilt...just so much to look at! It is in good condition. There is some wear on one end and the brown fabric on one block has shattered (but brown fabric of this time period is notorious for shattering...) Otherwise the fabrics are strong and maintained most of their colors.
It came from an estate in Abbeville, S.C. It just looks so southern to me...soft colors, lots of fabrics and big baptist fans quilted right across the quilt. The corners of the quilt are slightly rounded...this is my third southern quilt with "cheater" corners. It certainly makes binding a quilt easier...I wonder why we still don't do it like that?!

I think it is circa 1900...there are a few fabrics that are much earlier than that but a couple that read 1900 so as we go with the most recent that is the date. There is really nothing in the construction or design of the quilt to help with dating it. However if anyone sees something I've missed please let me know!

18 comments:

Ariane said...

It's a lovely quilt. I just love the colors and all the different blocks!!!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh it is even more wonderful now that I see the whole thing! Very fun!

Impera Magna said...

That is a lovely quilt... congratulations on acquiring it!

Finn said...

Gorgeous quilt! Hard not to love a quilt with that much personality and all that lovely red and blue!! Congratulations on getting it! Hugs, Finn

Louise said...

It's a charming and interesting quilt, and would be a fun one to replicate! I hardly ever see sampler quilts.

woolywoman said...

now that I know about cheater corners, I will be doing it all the time!

antique quilter said...

beautiful I can see why you wanted it.
I love looking at quilts like this you always see something new every time you look at it Thanks for sharing it with us
Kathie

julieQ said...

I really love that quilt...a combination of blocks and love, and stitching!!

Clare said...

Great find. It's gorgeous.

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

Ahh this is stunning how lovely to have it in your collection. I too love the cheater binding corners. xo

Tonya Ricucci said...

Unsurprisingly, I love it love it love it. Love samplers like this with all different sizes - so much zing.

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

What a great quilt - and I love the binding with the rounded corners!!

*karendianne. said...

Whoa! Sio, this is amazing. Check out that particular tan. It's interesting the way it's held up. the use of the shirtings and the ginghams, too. There's a lot of block and fabric variety. I'm totally intrigued by the red scrolling print there. What do you think about that fabric? Oh and the three large center blocks. Those are totally neat!

Thanks for sharing this one. I'm excited DH got this for you, friend. :)

Scrappy quilter said...

What a lovely thread to own. Love the colors too.

AnnieO said...

Wow, orphans existed always, I guess! These look great all put together. What a great find--glad your DH got it for you.

Carol said...

What a find! Great colors, wonderful random design. I used to do rounded corners, but since I learned to miter them, I can't figure out how I ever did it. I'll have to experiment and see if I can remember.

Randy D. said...

I love the quilt. I'd like to know what's the auction house website... it might be fun to check it out for future possible quilts that come up.
thanks,

Anonymous said...

I love old, patchwork quilts. This one is simply beautiful !