Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Old quilt new quilt post 3

I have made some progress on my little quilt interpretation...let me just start by saying at times I can hear the original maker laughing...

No I'm not losing it but just when I think I've seen all there is to see in this little quilt something else jumps out. For instance there are eight stars in this quilt...

each star gets a circle appliqued on top...

than another star appliqued on top of that...

Don't know why I did it but I turned over the quilt and saw another of these star shaped in the quilting...it is in the center of the center block (a russian sunflower.)

While I had the quilt turned over I noticed there are a lot more circles sewn on this quilt than I originally thought....
test layout of the quilt with half a sunflower....
I think I now have unraveled all the secrets in this little quilt....at least the room is quiet...for now...


9 comments:

Diane-crewe said...

just gotta listen when a quilt talks to you xx

antique quilter said...

love the stars with circles in the center and then another star, I started a quilt like that once :)
ah yes listening to the quilt maker from long ago is fun isn't it!

Libby said...

It's looking wonderful! Good Luck!

Marj said...

I like how the stars and circles are coming together.

*karendianne. said...

Oh gosh this is coming along so well. It's got to be so fascinating, Sio. I know it is from here.

Janet O. said...

Beautiful blocks!
Don't those voices just drive you crazy? LOL!

AnnieO said...

Fascinating unraveling the story of that little quilt! Wonderful that it still has so much to say :)

Loris said...

Wow! This is looking wonderful!
Lovely work!

Bill Volckening said...

Yes, there sure is a lot to this quilt. I'm glad you're having so much fun discovering the small details. It sounds like the experience of recreating it is rich. Love how it's looking so far.