Sunday, July 22, 2012

So not finished...


I've been working hard on the second quarter log cabin variation that I showed you in blue mess.  Originally I planed to lay it out three blocks wide by four blocks long with 2 inch sashing.  Decided then it needed to be a bit larger so it could be used on a twin bed so made more blocks to make it 4 blocks wide by 5 blocks long with 2 inch sashing and a 7 inch pieced border on each side.

I had all the blocks and sashing sewn together when in steps my DH...he likes a the quilt.  (good thing...)  This is a quilt he wants us to keep.  (I give away most of my quilts...)  But, he wants it to be large enough to use on a King size bed.  Say what?!

I had just cleaned all the scraps and fabric for this project off the cutting table!  The only good thing (besides his liking the quilt) is he told me before I put the borders on!

So now the question is do I make it 5 by 6 or go all the way with 6 by 6 and have a 100 inch square quilt....no matter which I'll have to find more of the light blue solid and figure out another backing fabric!  (can you believe I actually got ahead of myself and pieced the back for this!  Oh well...I am way ahead on a future quilt....)

14 comments:

Vic in NH said...

Hooray for husbands that really care about our quilts! It certainly is coming out to be a beauty and I vote for going 6 blocks by 6. My reasoning is that you are going to use this on your own bed and when a quilt is square, it is ALWAYS aligned right when you go to make up the bed.

Impera Magna said...

I can certainly see why your DH likes this quilt... so do I! It will look great on a king bed!

Go for the square quilt... that way you never have to count blocks to see which way it goes on the bed!

:)

sewkalico said...

I can see why he likes it!! It will be wonderful. Big as possible if you can face it LOL!

Teresa in Music City said...

Definitely 6 by 6. Love those blues! Your husband has great taste!

Purple Pam said...

I say go for the 6x6. It is a beautiful quilt. Isn't it great when hubby says he likes a quilt/project?

Gypsy Quilter said...

It's such a bright and cheerful quilt, I'm glad you're keeping it.

LCP said...

That is awesome that your husband likes your hobby and the beautiful log cabin quilt. I agree 6x6....

Merilyn said...

In the closeup photo of the blocks I can really see all the different fabrics and it is quite lovely, a lot of visual interest and it's not a surprise that your husband loves it!!!!! It has turned out so nicely!!!!

Katie Z. said...

I agree with Vic... if it's "almost" square at 5x6, I would probably always put it on sideways first, then have to turn it!

Betty Lou said...

Good imput from hubby, sometimes it's good to have another opinion-----sometimes not. It's color reminds me of the deep blue sea.

beth said...

What a beauty. It's always nice when someone LOVES it! Enjoy building this one bigger!

Janet O. said...

It is a glowing beauty! When DH voices approval, it is his quilt! Mine has only done that once--but he owns the quilt now. : )
Mom does that, too. She gave away most of her quilts, but every now and then my Dad would say he really liked one, and she always kept those--she never promised quilts to anyone before they were finished. I need to learn that lesson..
Do you have enough fabrics to go for the 6x6 blocks?

Jeanne said...

Your husband has excellent taste. I would make it 6 x 6.

Tonya Ricucci said...

aiyee, king-sized. it IS beautiful. good luck with making more and more and more and more blocks.