Monday, October 19, 2015

Precuts and another finish!

Two things to write about today...first, another finish and second, a discussion on pre-cuts.

Quilt shows are great inspiration to finish things!  This quilt has been "almost finished" for a long time.  I think the pattern was in a McCall's magazine several years ago.

Anyway, this will be for display only, no judging as it really isn't "show worthy" but since it goes well with the season it will be a "filler quilt!"  After the show it will be the new couch quilt for my husband!

So how does this lead to precuts?  Well, I used 2-1/2 inch strips making this quilt.  Not a jellyroll but 2-1/2 that I cut from left-over project fabrics.  Also there has been several discussions on facebook on "how do you use precuts."

I can't say I never buy them.  They are tempting!  Mainly I buy them if they are on sale or if it is a new line of fabrics that aren't carried locally so a charm pack gives me a better idea of the real colors.  They do tend to add up though!

I don't choose patterns based on precuts though I do have one on the design wall that could have been made using some!  I choose this pattern because I need one that used elephants for a baby quilt.  (the elephant and the donkey are not part of the project...but do show I am "fair and balanced!")

Most of the 5-inch squares for this came from a pile of squares given to me for my birthday by my quilting buddies.  This pile has been a great source of bits for little projects or applique!

3 comments:

Janet O. said...

Not every quilt we make needs to be show worthy, right? If they were, would we ever want to let anyone curl up in them? I like the cozy look of your Fall quilt, and it will make a good seasonal "filler" at the show. : )

Gypsy Quilter said...

Yeah, another finish! Thanks for sharing.

Tonya Ricucci said...

I buy pre-cuts and toss them in with my other crumbs and fabric. none of it ever gets used together - ie just one line of fabric. Congrats on the finish - bet that's the one you started for your nephew.