Saturday, January 07, 2017

Snow day in the South!

We don't get snow often here in this part of Georgia so when the meteorologists forecast the white stuff things go just a bit crazy!
My After Christmas Sales Santa....

Me...I'm from New England so my emergency cabinet is always stocked!  I have water, extra batteries, a coffee maker that I can use in my fireplace, lots of pet-food, and canned soup/stuff.  So if need be I can hunker down for a good long while.  Of course...here in the south snow only sticks around a day or so...maybe I've overdone it?

But just two years ago we had an ice storm that left us without power for 5 days!  So maybe I'll go check on my vintage hand-crank machine that allowed me to still sew on those cold, dark days!
A photo of my Mom on skis sometime in the late 1940's in Dorchester, MA

As of yet...no snow.  Lots of rain, lots of cold winds, but no snow.  I'm ok with that.

Today I'm taking it easy...tracing some applique shapes off onto freezer-paper so we can kit up our next donation quilt and maybe fold some fabric.

or maybe just dream of future quilts...I got this new book "My Quilting Legacy" for Christmas.  Wonderful book.  Great quilts, beautiful photos and what looks to be good instructions.  I'll let you know on the latter when I finally make up my mind which quilt to make first!

4 comments:

Janet O. said...

My daughter moved to Eugene OR from New Hampshire this past summer. Early in December they had an ice storm and she was told those rarely happen. One month later they are having another, after first getting about 6" of snow. I don't think you should feel over-prepared--just prepared.
Oh, how I wish I had a hand crank machine for just such occasions. Don't have room for a treadle machine to sit anywhere.
That looks like a lovely book you received.

Gypsy Quilter said...


Isn't it amazing how that early training on preparedness never leaves us, no matter where we live. I made the potato soup recipe recently listed on the Mennonite Girls Can Cook Blog. It was very good. I added extra seasonings and left over ham. The snow is here and will most likely turn to ice tonight. Thank goodness for the stocked pantry.

Kleine Vingers said...

Lovely book, I bought it in France last year and love to browse it. Haven't started on a particular quilt pattern but get inspired by the lovely pictures. Here in the Netherlands we had a little snow yesterday, now the roads are slippey due to ice. Luckily I can stay indoors. Hope you have no power problems this time. Greetings

cityquilter grace said...

on the weather channel this AM they reported 20" in plymouth, which is about an hour where my house was....so glad to be in maryland where it's cold, but i saved my down coat, so i was prepared....and i agree, when bad storms are forecast, mentally go over an emergency list..