Saturday, January 21, 2012

News Junkie Stitchin'

I confess to being a political news junkie...even when it is driving me crazy I will watch the debates, the pundits and the eventual election returns (doesn't matter which party is running.) How bad is it? Well when everyone else in line at the grocery store is stocking up on snacks for the football games my cart is packed with political debate snacks. (generally I try and buy things that will not hurt the TV is hurled at it from the couch....)

So as I can almost see South Carolina from the front of my house (ok I have to walk to the end of the street...) this has been a long week for us. On the other side I also plan some hand-sewing or quilting for this political extravaganza and have made good progress on some UFO's that needed binding and my Sprigs and Stars project. (My goal was 8 blocks a month and right now I have 10 finished for January!)

On the down side big projects like putting the borders on my Orca Bay mystery are harder to do while the TV is on. Also, it being a rainy day I can't lay the to out to pin the last two borders onto the quilt without danger of some muddy paw-prints crossing the quilt. (nice idea but not for this quilt!) It took a bit longer to make the borders than I expected.
When I laid out the blocks there were 6 missing. Of course I immediately blamed Brownie-the-block-thief and started searching all the usual places...found two under the couch. Decided it was easier to just remake the last four blocks...

14 comments:

Impera Magna said...

You're a better woman than I.... I can't stand all the political stuff on TV and don't watch it.

Good idea about having snacks on hand that won't harm the TV when thrown at it... *lol*

Richard Healey said...

I love to yell at the TV on politics too and yell at any one around me. Sadly living here in Utah no one takes us all that serious in politics so its never a big show. But am watching and waiting to see what happens. And quilting away.

http://richardquilts.blogspot.com

Betty Lou said...

Your Orka is very nice------Brownie the block thief must come to my house also-------but he hides all kinds of things in my sewing room. I am so confused about the Repubican nominees this year. Wish one would really stand out or they would find someone new to run.

Janet O. said...

Like Richard (comment above), I am in Utah, a state that has never been considered heavy in political clout! So I watch all of the action in the Eastern states. Lately life has kept me from seeing much of the debates--I just get the sound bites on the late news. That makes me upset enough. Maybe it is a good think for my blood pressure that I am not seeing more! : )

Debbie said...

Believe me, it has been a very long week here in SC.....14 political calls a day on average. Glad it is almost over for a bit, but will be watching tonight to see how it goes.
Your Orca Bay quilt is wonderful!

Merilyn said...

The Orca Bay quilt is looking good! Hard to work on a large quilt when you need floor space that everyone else is using LOL!!!!
We get snippets of some of the political shananigans going on in your country, there's a way to go yet before the fat lady sings!!!!!

Tonya Ricucci said...

there is no way I'm watching a political debate, but I do love my Ken Rudin and Ron Elving Political Junkie podcast. And Morning Joe...

Janet said...

It's all aboutn tennis here on the telly at the momen, every night so I'm happy to sew instead.
Love the stars ansd sprig blocks. The orca quilt is going to be gorgeous with the borders on.

antique quilter said...

I love the colors of your Orka, had to laugh you losing the blocks!!!! I would have done the same thing just made them over. I like keeping up with politics too to me voting is a responsibility we all have and should be taken seriously.
snacks for the debates now I didn't think about that!
Kathie

Clare said...

Oh Sio - I can just see you sitting in front of the tv throwing popcorn at the screen. Woke up this morning to the SC result. As DD says pffffffff!

I bet those blocks appear in a couple of weeks when you're looking for something else.

Julie in the Barn said...

Your Orca Bay is gorgeous. I'm out in hippy dippy CA so I'm left brained so to speak. I get hoarse shouting at the TV. Election time makes me crazy. Snacks might keep me sane.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

They say there is no such thing as the quilt police...but it sounds like you could use them for your thief! LOL

AnnieO said...

Politicians spouting on TV make me run the other way. But then, so does football.

Glad you're getting some work done even if the block thief is hampering Orca Bay!

Taryn said...

You are a strong woman. I have over loaded on the political commentary and have retreated to my ipod. That way I only hear what I want to hear. Congratulations on your Stars and Sprigs progress. I've let mine lapse - first because there was no time for sewing and now because I have gone on to other projects. Here's to 10 more blocks in February.