Saturday, March 03, 2012

Sunflower questions...





The Russian Sunflower and Star quilt is so close to being a top...good chance to be finished this weekend. About half the blocks are sewn together and the hourglass borders are finished!

A few questions came from bloggers with "no-reply" emails...so here are the answers...How big is the quilt? It should finish at 39 inches square...may be closer to 40. I hope that the quilting takes up that extra inch!

What fabrics and I using and where did I find them. These are all from my reproduction fabric stash. I've been hoarding...rather collecting...repros since the early 90's. My best advice is when you see a repro you like get a couple yards of it! Some of my fabrics still has the selvage on it but a lot is just fat quarters or less. I find it hard to use that last little bit...

I did document the fabrics that I was sure of to keep with the quilt. It is a wide range:#1 Cobb quilt by RJR, Smithsonian; #2 Laurene Sinema, SSI #3 Cobb Quilt RJR; #4 The Old Sturbridge Village Collection, Marcus; #5 Hannah Walker, DAR, Windham; #6 Dargate Ribbons, Maro Krager, Windham; #7 Family Tree, Mary Koval. I used several reds from the Moda Friendship line that comes out this month (I had a charm pack.) The background is Kona Bone.

Not all collections play well with one another. Some attempt to reproduce the fabric as it was when it was first made while others seem to attempt to pre-age the fabric and make it look like it does now. I'm not saying one is good or the other bad but they tend not to look "right" when used in the same quilt.

I have made a couple of quilts with the sole purpose of keeping a record of my repro fabrics: One was a Prairie Queen quilt;
an English Paper-piecing (in process);

and this star quilt top.

A few years ago I "purged" many of the repros that just were not getting used by cutting them into 1-1/2 inch strips and making a King Size log cabin (note there are also some of my favorite conversation and shirting fabrics in this quilt...wish there were more of these out on the market!)


15 comments:

McIrish Annie said...

Looks fabulous! And you are so organized. I could take a bit of that.

Julierose said...

Hi, I really like your log cabin--lovely color runs. Julierose

Impera Magna said...

Such lovely fabrics, such beautiful quilts... admire them all...

Merilyn said...

Love that log cabin!!! All your quilts are beautiful - the Russian Sunflower & Star is looking good, I do love that hourglass border treatment, I'll have to remember that, it gives such a sweet look!

Janet O. said...

Wonderful quilts!! I especially like Prairie Queen and Log Cabin. I agree about the different types of repros. Some look aged, some look new. Depends on the effect you want, as to what you will use.

Nifty Quilts said...

Congratulations on your almost finished top! You've been working hard. It's also fun to see your other repro fabrics quilts. All just lovely!

antique quilter said...

Oh I love seeing your quilts. Oh that log cabin is wonderful! I am loving your current project sunflower is great

*karendianne. said...

It's so great to see your work, Sio. I like learning how you document your fabrics, too. That's a great idea and probably something we can all learn from and do - yes? What a talented and prolific quilter you are. I say that both from seeing this post and from the perusing I did the other day I mentioned previously. I love this log cabin, friend. Amazing!!!

Jeanne said...

Great quilts! I love the progress on your Russian Sunflower, too.

regan said...

Oh, all these quilts are gorgeous! The log cabin is spectacular! And I totally know what you mean about the different repros not 'working' with each other. I've had to separate some of mine out of the group. I love them, but they will have to be on their own in a quilt.

Janet said...

I love your quilt, it's so utterly gorgeous. Love all the others too, you have been productive.

Frog Quilter said...

Your quilts are SO BEAUTIFUL.

Jill said...

The quilt is looking great!

Tonya Ricucci said...

all beautiful!

sewkalico said...

I'd love to see that hexagon quilt of yours up close and personal!