Monday, October 22, 2012

So it is Monday...

The first presidential campaign that I have any real memory or was the 1972 campaign of George McGovern vs. Richard Nixon.  Not that I was old enough to vote but I was aware of some of the issue.  I remember in my classroom there was a board for each candidate but it was obvious that my teacher, Sister Helen Agnes  was pro McGovern!

I was sad to see that Senator McGovern passed away this weekend.  He may not have won that election but he did play a major role in social change in the 60's and 70's.

I was able to get out for a bit yesterday.  Visited an antique store and picked up a couple of vintage handkerchiefs and a dollbed...the handkerchief may end up in a pillow and the dollbed just needs a little quilt!

Hope to get back to sewing this week....Goldie is doing a great job of keeping me company and is already dressed for tonight debates....

9 comments:

Tonya Ricucci said...

glad you're feeling better!

cspoonquilt said...

I to remember that election! I just turned 18 in tme to vote in that election. My mom and I volunteered a bit for Mc governs campaign. Mc Govern was a cool guy, a real statesman. We don't grow so many politicians like that anymore! cheers, Claire W,
PS- the scarf is very cute and the political cat too!

Jan said...

This brought back a memory for me of being on the playground, and kids asking other kids, "Who's your Dad voting for?" How sexist, right?!
Tonight is one of those rare tv nights for me - too many choices. The debate, game 7 of the National League playoffs, and the Bears on Monday Night Football. There will probably be lots of channel changing going on.

Marei said...

You weren't old enough to vote??? Oh my, I'm feeling very old today. I campaigned for McGovern and was devastated when he lost. He was a good man.

antique quilter said...

glad you were able to get out...nice hankerchief have you collected a lot of them? will you make a quilt someday from them? this one would be cute as a pillow...hope you can sew this week...
Kathie

Taryn said...

So, is Goldie a policy wonk? She looks very comfy on her pretty quilt.

Janet O. said...

That is a cute hankie--I love the vintage ones with all of the printed designs.
I didn't know we had to dress up for the debate. I must remedy that! : )

AnnieO said...

My husband says McGovern was the very first person he ever voted for! I have absolutely no recollection of that race since I was far too young to vote too. Glad you got out and about--sweet hankie!

*karendianne. said...

Glad you got out a bit. I love that Goldie was dressed for the
Debates. She so cute!!!!