Thursday, February 22, 2007

Bottons!

I got a great package in the post yesterday. I bought the buttons in the photo at the Quilt show in Lowell last summer. My sister did the embroidery and framed them for me! They look great. The frame even opens up so you can get close to see the buttons.
I drove up to Fairford for the quilting group. We worked on a chrun dash block and learned to do half-square triangles. One of the folks finshed her block in class and two others came very close. As on woman noted it took three weeks for the first block and now they can do a block in class and get a block to work on between classes...they just may finish a quilt top. Last night I worked on writing up the next two blocks - Hidden Star and Virginia Star. We will be learning the square in a square technique. I'm growing quite a stack of 12-inch blocks with this whole excercise.


The days are finally getting longer. There is plenty of light when I drive up to Fairford in the morning now and I don't worry that it will get dark while I am still on the backroads coming home in the afternoon. The photo on the right is the view on the Quarry Road which I take to get to Fairford. It has beautiful views of the countryside. It is the halfway point so I often stop and finish my coffee by the side of the road here. It is very relaxing.
Today I lots of life-maintanence issues...perscriptions to pick-up, car MOT to have done, and then come back and wait for the plumber. Hopefully I can sneak in some sewing somewhere!


9 comments:

Unknown said...

Those buttons look so good in that frame and I didn't realise until I looked closer that the backcloth is embroidered - lovely! Isn't it nice that the days are starting to lengthen - thank goodness, Spring is only just around the corner :o)

Joyce said...

It's nice to see green. Here we still have a lot of snow and there was a blizzard yesterday. Spring is still at least a month away.

quiltpixie said...

wonderful way to display the buttons!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I love how your sister framed those buttons! And what a beautiful picture of the countryside!

Lois R. said...

The buttons look great framed up like that. And the embroidery really adds to the display. Charming.

Wow, it IS nice to see green. What green we have is still the muddy, frosty variety. Glad you're enjoying the lengthening of the days. I haven't noticed it yet, but my husband reports that it is true!

Darcie said...

What a clever way to display your buttons!

Love the picture. So glad that you said that you stopped by the roadside and enjoyed your cuppa and the sights. Good for you, Siobhan!

And I got a good chuckle when you said this: ***and then come back and wait for the plumber. Hopefully I can sneak in some sewing somewhere!*** If the plumbers there are anything like here...you'll be able to sneak in a great deal of sewing! ;-)

Happy Spring to you!

Unknown said...

That is a smashing idea with the buttons. A good friend of mine gave me a box full of buttons( most of them singles) and it is the perfect gift to give some of them back!

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

I love your button frame. What a great idea it opens up to see closely. I'm a button collector, or was before the Antiques Road Show, here in USA, made buttons and most antiques way too expensive. But, I do still look, but don't buy as much. I have a couple of semi valuable buttons. I'll try to take a pic later today. Thanks for sharing.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

That framed button embroidery is a treasure! I love the countryside photo and could almost smell springtime in the air!