Wednesday, January 17, 2007

First signs of spring


This morning I found a flower blooming in our garden...it was so nice to see some color after all the rain. Looks like there is a chance we may even glimpse the sun today!

Yesterday I was really worn out so I did some mindless organizing in the sewing room. There's nothing like folding fabric and lining up spools of thread when you barely have the energy to pick up your cup of coffee. (for me that is saying alot!)

My big achievement however was to pull fabric to piece backings for three of my quilt tops! I knew I had some in there that would work and with just a little persistance and a few seams I am both one step closer to finishing these quilts and did some significant stashbusting! I estimate I used about 9 yards of fabric to but them together. I need to put in an order for some batting now and resist the temptation to buy more fabric while I do it! I may get really ambitious and cut some binding too.

I finished another of the cowgirl blocks. This one is called bachelor's puzzle. I've decided to alternate dark and light blocks and not do a sashing. At least that is the plan for now.

I've also started a small quilt using the blocks we are doing in the first class. I'm using Amish fabrics which have been in my stash for at least 10 years! Some even longer. I was looking at the first Amish Style Quilt that I made and was amazed when I read the label - 1987! Twenty years! Amazing. Some of the fabric I'm using now may even have been scraps from that quilt. The good thing about solids is they never really go out of style!

6 comments:

Melanie said...

I'm jealous of the flowers....

The Calico Cat said...

Do you want to know about the oops in your block? (The bottom red/blue HST is oriented the wrong way...)

quiltpixie said...

what beautiful flowers... Its a great reminder that spring will come :-)

Anonymous said...

That's what I'm thinking - solids and tone-on-tones seem to be timeless. The block looks great.

Unknown said...

That's a really nice block pattern - batten down the hatches Siobhan, we're due some nasty weather over the next day or two, horizontal rain the forecaster called it tonight - hope your pretty little flowers survive :o)

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

Thanks for the post on my blog. I love the cowgirl block. My daffodils are starting to peak up from the ground, but no flowers yet.